Monday, April 23, 2007

Comments on John Battelle's blog: "Next Up for Big G: Web Conferencing"

Now, how does a real dramatic change of pace sound? Unfortunately, that's a rhetorical question and you guys really don't have a say in the matter. After all, this is Web 2.0, and I'm encouraged to share my thoughts and personalize my internet experience (which I enjoy very much). Though I do try to keep the readers in mind, I am compelled to change the tone of my recent postings. Now, I'll attempt to transition from blogging about the Chili Peppers and the Giants to commenting on one of the blogs that's required for class. Essentially, I'll go from writing about something I love dearly and care passionately about, to writing about something that I................am growing to love dearly and care passionately about (admit I faked you out, Professor Brown). John Battelle's Searchblog is slowly but surely becoming one of my favorite websites. While it may not be as exciting as getting sports highlights from ESPN.com or downloading music torrents from Oink's Pink Palace (the greatest site of all time), the blog provides a wealth of interesting information and insight on the convergence and interaction of new technologies, web search, and media.

I recently stumbled upon a blog posting that I found quite intriguing and coincidentally, personally relevant. Next Up for Big G: Web Conferencing is a blog about new software that was developed by Marratech and recently discussed on the Google Blog. The blog highlights the the fact that this new technology will enable Googlers to engage in "from the desktop" video conference meetings. This seems like a very convenient way to promote "casual interactions and spontaneous collaboration," through a medium that was typically dominated by the impersonal, asymmetrical transmission of information. It is a rather revolutionary idea that will have significant implications for the business world. Ironically, this week I will be engaging in a quasi-video conference for part of the placement process for my job. While the specific technology Battelle's blog talks about is not being utilized here, this emphasis on virtual meetings between various parties from different physical proximities represents a major shift in the way businesses are handling recruitment and HR functions.

Don't mind this, it's just some tasteless self-promotion (trying to get my name on google).
Dan Sefrin

No comments: